Homemade fish cakes are just wonderful and a very kid-friendly way of serving fish. Our version is a healthy family meal that is packed with plenty of nutrition and the taste of Asia. They are gluten and dairy free, which makes them suitable for most families. Have a try, it’s easier to make fish cakes than you probably think.
These easy Thai fishcakes can be made with any inexpensive white fish. How great is that?
Other ingredients include some lovely Thai flavours. I just love the combination of lemongrass, chili, Thai basil, lime and ginger. The fishcakes also contain green beans which are a very rich source of dietary fiber.
Serve with a chili mayonnaise and some rice or a salad as a delicious lunch or dinner. These Thai fish cakes are also a great option to pack into your kids’ lunch boxes.
- 500 g / 18 oz white fish (cod, pike, zander, whiting, pollock etc.)
- 100 g / 3.5 oz green beans
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 tbsp thai basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chives or spring onion (chopped)
- 1 egg
- juice of half a lime
- 1 chili
- ginger (a thumb-sized piece finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place the fish in a food processor and process until smooth. Be careful to process until you don't have any bones left.
- Add all the other ingredients (except vegetable oil) and process until well combined.
- Place the mixture in the fridge to set (at least 10 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Using a spoon and your hands, form cakes from the fish mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until the fish cakes are golden brown.
- This amount will make 8-10 fish cakes.
Hope you enjoy the Thai fish cakes!