Sweet potato toast. This is a totally new way of preparing sweet potato for me. And the special thing about this sweet potato toast is, that it is actually prepared like toast using only a toaster. I saw this idea on Facebook (if I remember correctly) and I have to say I was very sceptical. Can you really cook sweet potato with a toaster. And the answer is YES! You really can, so how could cooking get any simpler than this.
Choose any toppings you like, let the toaster do its job and you’ll have a healthy and delicious snack ready in no time. I am so excited about this sweet potato toast that I want to share two different toppings with you. These include some great ingredients like cottage cheese, strawberries, basil, tomato and avocado.
The other topping contains strawberries, because as we have told you, we love love love strawberries. We have told you about our love for strawberries in so many ways (all during the last month :)) :
- Mini grilled pizzas
- Strawberry watermelon lassi
- Summer pasta salad
- Berry yoghurt popsicles
- Rhubarb strawberry crumble
This is all you need for the sweet potato toast with two different toppings.
As said, I was very sceptical about cooking sweet potato in a toaster. But give it a go and you’ll see it works. This is how the sweet potato slices look after toasting. It’s soft and ready to eat.
- 1 sweet potato (preferably organic)
- 6 table spoons cottage cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- ½ avocado
- 6 strawberries
- Wash the sweet potato. If it's organic, you can eat the peel, otherwise I would peel it. Cut into 4 slices about 1 cm (that's 0.4 inches) thick.
- Prepare tomato topping by chopping cherry tomatoes. In a small bowl, mix together chopped tomatoes, olive oil, black pepper and chopped chives.
- Start toasting the sweet potato slices. Depending on your toaster and how soft you want to have it, you probably need a few rounds. I toasted these four times.
- While toasting, slice half an avocado and strawberries.
- When toasted, add toppings starting with cottage cheese on all slices. Then add tomato mixture, avocado slices and some chopped chives on two slices. And strawberries and basil on the other two slices.
Enjoy the sweet potato toast!