Quesadillas are a great option if you want to whip up a quick and tasteful snack, lunch or even dinner. And you can let your creativity flow when deciding on the fillings. Last Saturday was one of those days that I needed to come up with a quick and easy lunch for my family. So I opted for quesadillas and filled them with a super green homemade pesto (because I love pesto), cannellini beans (for some protein) and mozzarella cheese (because cheese is a must in quesadillas). These super green pesto and cannellini bean quesadillas were a hit among our family so I thought I’d better share the recipe on the blog as well.
You probably wonder why the pesto is called super green pesto. Well, it has three different green ingredients hidden in it and they are all super healthy. So the only name I could come up with was super green pesto. This combination of kale, spinach and basil is a true winner! If you are a big pesto lover like me, you can make a double portion of this super green pesto and use the rest as a spread on bread or as a pasta sauce.
These super green pesto and cannellini bean quesadillas are also a perfect dish to share with friends or as a party snack. If you are looking for more quesadilla inspiration, check out our avocado and turkey quesadilla recipe as well.
- 8 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- 1 can (425 g/ 15 oz) cannellini beans
- 170 g/ 6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- For the super green pesto:
- 25 g/ 0.9 oz kale (fresh or frozen)
- 25 g/ 0.9 oz fresh spinach
- handful of fresh basil
- 25 g/ 0.9 oz cashew nuts (or sunflower seeds for a nut free version)
- 25 g/ 0.9 oz parmesan cheese
- ½ garlic clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Start by preparing the super green pesto. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Mash the cannellini beans with a fork.
- Spread the mashed beans, pesto and mozzarella cheese over one half of the tortilla. Fold the blank half over to create a half-moon shape. Repeat with all 8 tortillas.
- Warm a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Place the folded quesadillas in the pan. Fry the quesadillas on the pan for about one and a half minutes on each side. You should be left with a crispy outside and melted mozzarella cheese.
- Cut the quesadillas into quarters and serve immediately with some sour cream.
I hope you enjoy the super green pesto and cannellini bean quesadillas!