For us summer means also a long anticipated reunion of the two of us. For the next weeks we can forget about Skype calls and spend time together. So happy! This gave us also the opportunity for the first time to cook and make a photo shoot for the blog together. As the weather has lately been really sunny in Finland, what would be a better way to enjoy food than on a picnic by the sea.
It was quite an easy task to choose a perfect picnic spot. We both love the sea and especially cliffs by the sea. There are beautiful cliffs near Minna’s home, just 3 km away from the city centre of Helsinki. It seemed almost like an unspoken agreement that we head to those cliffs with a stunning view to the Baltic Sea.
The recipe for a perfect summer day with the family goes as follows: Prepare wholesome and delicious picnic food, pack your food and all picnic necessities in a basket, head to the beach or any other favourite summer hideaway, and then just enjoy your picnic in fresh air.
For inspiration and ideas for your summer picnic, follow all our picnic posts during this and next week and see what we came up with for our picnic by the sea.
Today I’m sharing with you a summer pasta salad recipe that we prepared for the picnic. We chose to prepare a pasta salad since it’s easily portable, can be served cold and is a filling lunch for the whole family. If you can’t find orzo pasta, just use any other short-cut pasta of your preference.
This summer pasta salad tastes sweet and fresh like a sunny summer day. It’s really simple to prepare and I’m sure the whole family will love it.
- 3 dl/ 1.2 cups orzo pasta (or any other short-cut pasta)
- Pinch of salt
- 15 strawberries
- 60 g/ 0.13 lbs baby spinach
- 250 g/ 0.55 lbs Finnish squeaky cheese (or mozzarella)
- Handful of chopped lemon balm
- 2 tbsp of pureed strawberries
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Add some salt to the boiling water. When pasta is ready, set aside and let it cool down.
- Slice the strawberries and cheese.
- Chop the baby spinach and lemon balm.
- When the pasta has cooled down, toss all ingredients (pasta, strawberries, cheese, baby spinach and lemon balm) together in a large bowl.
- Move the salad to a large food container with a lid.
- In a small bowl mix together all ingredients for the dressing: pureed strawberries, orange juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and ground pepper. Pour the dressing into a small food container with lid.
- Mix the dressing into the salad just before serving.
Enjoy the summer pasta salad!