Cooking a healthy weekday dinner doesn’t get much easier than this! These omega-3 foil packets with salmon and vegetables are incredibly simple to prepare. And you don’t end up with a pile of pots and pans to wash afterwards. Pretty perfect for a busy afternoon, isn’t it!
Are you already familiar with omega-3 fatty acids? When it comes to fat, omega-3 fatty acids is the fat type you don’t want to cut back on. Not only does your body need these fatty acids to function, but also they deliver some big health benefits. Omega-3s help feed the brain and keep it healthy, they are key to developing the central nervous and cardiovascular systems and helping the body absorb nutrients. Omega-3 fats are also important for eye function. It is recommended to get your omega-3 fats from food sources before going with supplements.
And what are the food sources you should look for if you want to increase omega-3s in your diet? Here is a list of the top 10 foods rich in omega-3: flaxseeds, walnuts, sardines, salmon, beef, soybeans, tofu, shrimp, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower (source: whfoods.org).
Inspired by this list I wanted to prepare a dinner that includes several foods that are rich in omega-3. For these omega-3 foil packets I chose salmon, cauliflower and green beans as sources of omega-3 and in addition some potato. I tried to choose ingredients that are familiar to many kids. If your kids like Brussels sprouts or broccoli, they would also make a nice addition to these packets.
This is also a nice dinner for small infants. Especially if you have infants who are into finger food around the dinner table, they will probably enjoy eating this meal. You can always make one packet with less salt and spices for the little ones.
Enjoy these omega-3 foil packets as such or with some yummy tzatziki (see recipe here).
- 600g/ 21 oz salmon
- 600g/ 21 oz veggies - eg. cauliflower, green beans and potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- ground garlic
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius/ 400 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Cut the cauliflower, green beans and potatoes in thumb sized pieces and place them in a bowl. Add the olive oil, half of the lemon juice, lemon zest, ground garlic, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the salmon into cubes and sprinkle them with half of the lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Cut 4 sheets, enough to wrap the salmon and veggies, of heavy duty foil. Place the vegetables on center of each aluminium foil and add the salmon cubes on top. Seal the edges of the foil and make foil packets.
- Place the foil packets in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the salmon is well done and the veggies are soft.
- Open the packets, sprinkle with some fresh parsley and serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy the omega-3 foil packets!