A kid-friendly non-alcoholic version of traditional mulled wine.
It’s already Christmas week – I can’t believe it!
Mulled wine is one of my favourite christmassy foods. I start drinking it already in October when the weather gets cold. This time I wanted to make a milder tasting apple version that’s alcohol-free and suitable also for kids. Apple, cinnamon and ginger is always a winning combination. And when you add some other spices, you get a nice christmassy drink for the whole family to enjoy.
This mulled apple juice is really easy to prepare. I like to make my own mulled wine or juice because the store bought versions often contain lots of sugar.
It’s been really quiet on the blog lately. The reason is we are making a book (yey!) and it has kept us super busy. If you’re interested in following our book journey, check out our Instagram account @naperostanautiskelijaksi. The book will be featuring blw-friendly foods for the whole family and it will be published in Finnish.
Now it’s almost done and we have the opportunity to relax and enjoy Christmas with our families.
We have some delicious christmassy recipes from last year on the blog. I’ll start making these tomorrow 🙂
- Carrot and sweet potato casserole with coconut milk
- Christmassy butternut squash soup
- Christmas chocolate fudge
- Apple gingerbread crumble
And I’ll enjoy this mulled apple juice while cooking.
- 1 l / 4 cups apple juice (unsweetened)
- piece of ginger (about the size of a thumb)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp star anise
- 1-2 tbsp honey*
- Pour the apple juice in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Add all spices and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Sweeten to taste with honey.
- Pour into glasses through a sieve.
- If you like, serve with a piece of cinnamon stick.
We want to wish you all a merry Christmas! Hope you enjoy this mulled apple juice!