Macaroni and cheese is undoubtedly one of kids’ favourite foods. And often parents like it as well, not only because of the taste but also because it’s so easy and quick to whip up after a long day. However, it is not the healthiest food nor does it contain much of important nutrients. But with a little makeover you can make it a little bit healthier. This macaroni and cheese recipe with white beans and kale is a wholesome comfort food that the whole family will love!
White beans slip easily into a pot of macaroni and cheese. When you puree the beans in a food processor, you get a creamy yet healthy base for your mac and cheese sauce. And kids won’t probably even notice that there are beans in it. For some extra nutrients, add ½ cup of kale into the sauce.
Preparing dinner doesn’t get much easier and quicker than this! You only need 5 ingredients (+ spices) and 15 minutes to make this treat. You can serve this macaroni and cheese with white beans and kale by itself or as a side dish with some meatballs or these hidden veggie meatloaf muffins.
- 5 dl/ 2 cups whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 can (400 g/ 14 oz) of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1,5 dl/ ½ cup frozen kale
- 2,5 dl/ 1 cup milk
- 2,5 dl/ 1 cup grated cheese*
- Ground mustard, salt and pepper
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, you can start to prepare the sauce. Put the white beans and frozen kale into a food processor and puree for a few minutes until smooth.
- Put the bean puree and milk into a pot and whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes until almost boiling. Add the grated cheese and stir until it has melted. Add some spices according to your taste.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the macaroni into the pot stir to combine. Serve immediately.
The original recipe is from the Finnish cookbook “Pipsan keittokirja pienille ihmisille” by Pipsa Hurmerinta. I made some small changes to the original recipe.
I hope you enjoy this macaroni and cheese with white beans and kale recipe!