It’s Easter time and I felt like baking something sweet and lemony. I would have made a fancy three layer cake if I’d had the time and skills to do it :). Instead, I decided to save some time, my precious nerves and spare my kitchen from a massive mess. So I made these super easy yet incredibly yummy lemon honey oatmeal cookies. And I bet they are much healthier than any fancy layer cake ;).
This recipe includes only 9 ingredients and you only need two bowls and a spoon to mix the ingredients together. These cookies are so easy to make that you can (once again) delegate the baking to your kids.
These lemon honey oatmeal cookies are soft, chewy and fresh as the spring. They are packed with healthy ingredients, but they don’t taste healthy! Remember our oatmeal to-go muffins? In that post I hyped about oatmeal. The same health benefits are packed also in these Easter treats!
I like to use honey (instead of sugar) in these cookies. Honey is of course (mostly) sugar, but from a health perspective there are nevertheless some advantages, such as…
- It takes more time for your body to break it down to glucose.
- It has trace elements in it (stuff that bees picked up while going from plant to plant). These will depend on region, so depending on the source of your honey it could have varying small amounts of minerals like zinc and selenium, as well as some vitamins.
- It doesn’t contain preservatives or other additives.
- It possesses antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
And in addition to all these health benefits, I think that honey is a perfect match with lemon. They just taste perfect together – the sourness of the lemon and the caramelly sweetness of the honey, mmmm…
If you want to make sure that your cookies don’t contain any gluten, remember to use gluten free oats and oat flour.
Have a lovely (and lemony) Easter! Let us know by commenting, if you tried these lemon honey oatmeal cookies during you Easter break.
- 2,5 dl/ 1 cup quick oats (gluten free, if needed)
- 2 dl/ 0.8 cups oat flour (gluten free, if needed)
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp honey*
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Mix together in a bowl all the dry ingredients (quick oats, oat flour, baking powder and salt).
- Whisk together in another bowl all the wet ingredients (coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, lemon juice and zest).
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir just until incorporated. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 Celcius/ 325 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop the cookie dough into 12 rounded scoops onto the prepared sheet, and flatten using a fork (see picture above).
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.
- Enjoy the cookies with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee/ tea.
Enjoy the lemon honey oatmeal cookies!