Creamy and delicious homemade Ricotta cheese and it’s so easy to prepare!
Have you ever wondered how to make homemade Ricotta cheese? Well, let me tell you, it’s so easy you might not believe it before trying. All you need is milk, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. It’s simply amazing how quickly you can have a batch of fresh creamy homemade Ricotta cheese. I’m pretty sure the whole family will love to eat it on a slice of bread.
I love to eat the Ricotta when it’s freshly made and still a little warm. Try to spread it on a slice of rye bread with some tomatoes and basil. Add a pinch of pepper, salt and a little olive oil and you have a tasty healthy snack.
I hate food waste. I think it’s always horrible to see any statistics how much food is thrown away. This homemade Ricotta cheese recipe is a great way to ensure, you don’t have any milk going bad. If you have any excess milk in the fridge, make cheese! And when you make cheese, you get whey – that is the liquid remaining after the milk has been curdled. Use the whey for some delicious pancakes, like this Cherry oven pancake, instead of regular milk.
This homemade Ricotta cheese can be enjoyed as a spread and also used for cooking just like store-bought Ricotta.
- 1 liter / 4 cups of milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Heat the milk in a pot. Just before it starts to boil, add the lemon juice and salt.
- Stir and set aside for about five to ten minutes.
- After this time, the milk should have separated into clumps.
- Put a sieve on top of a bowl and line the sieve with a cloth. Then pour the mixture into the sieve.
- Let the cheese drain for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Enjoy fresh or refrigerate in an airtight container.
Hope you’ll like the homemade Ricotta cheese!