Now it’s time to enjoy beautiful juicy tomatoes. They are full of flavour and I love cooking with tomatoes during the summer. When the weather gets hot, all I feel like eating is cold food. If you’re like me, a nice gazpacho is the perfect summer dish for you. I like to enjoy the soup with a refreshing mint yogurt dressing. Add some bread or a side salad, and you have a healthy and nourishing lunch or dinner.
If your kids like tomatoes, I’m sure they’ll like this gazpacho too. My recipe is not the easiest and quickest way of preparing gazpacho, but I ensure you, the few extra steps are worth the effort. They also make the soup kid-friendly.
First, I roast the red pepper in the oven and remove the skin. The flavour is completely different compared to raw red pepper. It’s so sweet you don’t need to add any sugar to the soup, but still get some sweetness to enhance the tomatoes natural flavour.
My second extra step compared to many other gazpacho recipes is to sauté the onions. I don’t like the taste of raw onion, and I guess many kids would agree with me.
Last, there is the preparing of the mint yogurt dressing. So it will take some time, but this gazpacho with mint yogurt dressing is still relatively easy to prepare. Full of flavour and vitamins, it’s the perfect healthy dish on a hot summer day.
You can also prepare the soup the day before, it will only get better in the refrigerator. You can store it in a glass bottle and take on a picnic. If you’re heading on a picnic, be sure to check out our other kid-friendly picnic recipes here.
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 slices bread
- handful of basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp balsamico
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper & salt
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 handfuls mint leaves, chopped
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 225 Celsius / 400 Fahrenheit degrees or use a grilling mode if your oven has one.
- Deseed the red pepper and cut into four slices.
- Roast the red pepper slices in the oven for about 20 min until the peel gets dark.
- While the red pepper is in the oven, prepare the other ingredients.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- In a pan, sauté the chopped onions and garlic for about 5 min.
- Cut a cross on the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30-45 seconds. Let them cool for a while and then gently peel the skins off and chop the tomatoes.
- Remove the crust from the bread slices and let them soak in a small amount of water in a bowl.
- When the red pepper is roasted, place them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let them cool for a while and then gently peel the skins off.
- In a food processor or blender, place the chopped tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, onions and garlic. Blend for a while. Then add the soaked bread, lemon juice, basil, olive oil, black pepper and some salt if you like. Blend until smooth and check seasoning and texture. Add a little water if needed.
- Pour into a glass bottle or a bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour or even overnight.
- Prepare the yogurt dressing by mixing the yogurt, chopped mint leaves, lemon juice and black pepper.
Enjoy the gazpacho with mint yogurt!