This is one of those recipes that I have in my rotating meal plan. And you know why? It’s easy to make, it’s pure comfort food that our whole family loves and it has a lot of veggies in the sauce (and some gooey cheese on top!!!).
Now that we’ve almost reached September and we can say goodbye to summer, it’s a good time to look forward to fall time and all the yummy comfort food that this season has to offer. Say hello to warm soups, hearty casseroles and comforting pasta dishes! This chicken pasta bake with pesto veggie sauce is the perfect fall and winter comfort food – tummy filling pasta, protein rich chicken and yummy wholesome pesto veggie sauce. How can you get wrong with this combination?
This recipe makes a big portion to feed the whole family and we always have some leftovers for the next day. This would also be great to serve for guests along with some side salad. Why not invite your kids’ friends over for a play date and serve some chicken pasta bake with pesto veggie sauce for dinner for the whole crew?
If you’re looking for hearty and wholesome family dinners to keep your crew warm and satisfied during fall time, check out our hearty autumn soup, baked pesto parmesan chicken, 5 ingredient Jerusalem artichoke soup and carrot and sweet potato casserole with coconut milk.
- 7,5 dl/ 3 cups pasta shells
- 400 g/ 14 oz minced chicken
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- ½ zucchini
- 3 tbsp red pesto
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1,5 dl/ ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius/ 390 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Cook the pasta shells according to the package directions. Drain the pasta from the cooking water.
- Chop the onion and garlic clove.
- Grate the carrots and zucchini.
- In a pan heat cooking oil over medium heat until hot. Add the minced chicken and sauté until it’s well done. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add some more cooking oil to the pan and add the onion, garlic, carrots and zucchini. Sauté the veggies for a couple of minutes. Add the diced tomatoes red pesto and cream cheese, mix thoroughly and let it simmer for 5 minutes. If you like a smoother consistency for the sauce, transfer the sauce to a bowl and blend it with a hand blender.
- In a big bowl or the pasta kettle, combine the pasta, chicken and sauce and mix them carefully.
- Transfer the mixture into a big casserole. Sprinkle on top the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
I hope you enjoy the chicken pasta bake with pesto veggie sauce!