Even though we live in Asia, I mostly cook western food. And that’s what my daughter is used to eat. Pasta dishes are definitely her favourite. However, I try to raise her as a multicultural child – also in terms of food. So every now and then I cook something Asian. I know it’s always a risk, since she might refuse to eat it. But I’m happy if she even tries it. That’s the only way to teach her new tastes. Yesterday was one of those days when I decided to venture the Asian kitchen and prepared Asian style chicken and peach skewers with peanut sauce.
As I had anticipated, this wasn’t right away my girl’s favourite food. But she nevertheless ate half of her portion – and hopefully widened her horizon in terms of new tastes. And my husband and me really enjoyed this dinner! If your kids love chicken and fruit there is a big chance they might love this dish.
These skewers can be prepared either in a grill or in the oven. As it was a normal weekday, I baked them in the oven. But next time I’ll definitely try to grill them. Dip the skewers into peanut sauce and prepare some rice on the side if you like. Simple and flavoursome dinner at it’s best!
- Ca 400g/ 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 peaches
- For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 soft dates
- ½ glove garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- (chilli flakes)
- 1-2 tbsp water if needed
- For the peanut sauce:
- 1 dl/ 0.4 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp (unsweetened) smooth peanut butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 tbsp water if needed
- Start by preparing the marinade. Put all ingredients for the marinade in a blender and blend until you have a smooth marinade. Add some water if it looks too thick.
- Cut the chicken breast into slices, toss with the marinade, then cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- When the chicken is marinated, preheat the oven to 200 Celsius/ 400 Fahrenheit degrees (or warm up the grill). If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes prior to baking/grilling.
- Prepare the peanut sauce. Put all ingredients for the peanut sauce in a blender and blend it until you have a smooth sauce. Add some water if it looks too thick.
- Cut the peaches into slices.
- Thread the chicken and peaches onto skewers. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes (or grill them for about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Serve the skewers with peanut sauce and rice if you like.
I hope you enjoy the chicken and peach skewers with peanut sauce!