This is it, a toddler approved salad! I eat a lot of salads, I like to have a salad for lunch or as a quick and healthy dinner. But salads are not usually kids’ favorite dishes. That’s why I was happy to come up with this recipe for a cauliflower couscous salad. At least my toddler loved it and kept asking for more. I hope this will be a success in other families too.
Cauliflower couscous really resembles the texture of actual couscous. Even my husband who dislikes cauliflower ate this salad before even realizing what he was eating :). I also think this tastes a lot better than boiled cauliflower. And mixing the cauliflower couscous with all these other fresh ingredients makes it a healthy and tasty dish. It’s a bowl of deliciousness.
My toddler doesn’t like the texture of pomegranate seeds. Probably she doesn’t have enough teeth yet. So I made her portion without the dressing and just sprinkled some olive oil on her salad. Also the balsamico flavor might be too strong for kids, so you can make the dressing without it.
This is how the cauliflower couscous should look like when it’s pulsed in a food processor. Be careful not to overmix and puree the cauliflower. I like the cauliflower couscous a little toasted, but you can also leave it totally raw in the salad.
- 500g / 18 oz cauliflower (that's about one medium sized cauliflower)
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 200g / 7 oz cherry tomatoes, chopped
- a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- a small handful of fresh mint
- a handful fresh of fresh basil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- black pepper
- dressing: 3 tbls pomegranate seeds, 2 tbls olive oil, 1-2 tbls lemon juice, (1 tbls white balsamico), black pepper and salt
- Put cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until it is the size of couscous. You only need a few pulses, don't overmix or you'll puree the cauliflower.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, Add the cauliflower couscous and toast for a few minutes,
- Add chopped cherry tomatoes and heat just a little. Season with lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of salt if you like.
- Take off the heat and add baby spinach, mint and basil.
- Prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients together,
- Put salad on plates and finish portions with avocado slices and some dressing.
Enjoy the cauliflower couscous salad!