Soups are perfect dishes to enjoy during the colder months. A few weeks ago we posted the recipe for a Hearty autumn soup, today I want to share with you a vegetarian soup. It’s a spicy carrot soup with ginger creme fraiche full of warming and wholesome ingredients. This soup is also great to enjoy if you have a cold – it’s like medicine and a boost for your immune system in a bowl.
Soups are good dishes to serve vegetables to kids. Often also picky eaters are happy to eat vegetables in a mashed form and almost like hidden in a soup. This carrot soup is a little spicy, so you can adjust the amount of spices in the recipe to fit your and your kids’ taste buds. My toddler was happy to eat it like this, I was quite surprised how much she liked it. You can also serve the soup without the ginger cream if you are not as crazy in love with ginger as I am.
While peeling my carrots I realised how pretty these peels looked on the plate. It’s traditionally thought to be only trash but somehow I want to look at it as art by nature :). Actually you can use carrot peels for cooking. Just wash the carrots thoroughly before peeling and the peels will give a great amount of flavour to a stock or a sauce for example. It’s sad how much food is thrown away and there are also so many ways to respect the ingredients more while cooking.
- For the soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp turmeric (ground)
- 2 tsp ginger (freshly grated)
- 1 chili (finely chopped)
- peel of 1 orange
- 1 kg / 35 oz carrots (chopped)
- 1 l / 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade or good quality)
- juice of half an orange
- pinch of salt (depending how salty your stock is)
- For the ginger cream:
- 150 g / 5 oz creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp ginger (freshly grated)
- pinch of salt
- flat leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in a big pot.
- Add onions and sauté for about five minutes on a low heat.
- Then add spices (turmeric, ginger, chili) and heat for a few more minutes.
- Add carrots, orange peel, the vegetable stock and the orange juice. Bring to the boil.
- Let the soup simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the ginger cream. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and put in the fridge.
- Blend the soup until smooth. I think using a hand blender is easiest, but be careful, because the soup is hot.
- Season with pepper and a pinch of salt if you like.
- Serve the soup with some ginger creme and chopped flat leaf parsley.
Enjoy the spicy carrot soup with ginger creme fraiche!