Let’s continue with some christmassy recipes. Carrot casserole is one of the most traditional Finnish Christmas dishes. In Finland, the typical Christmas dinner contains ham and three types of vegetable casseroles – carrot, potato and turnip. Carrot casserole has always been my favourite and it brings back a lot of wonderful childhood memories. This time I wanted to make a little twist on this traditional dish, and made it into a carrot and sweet potato casserole with coconut milk. Both the sweet potato and the coconut milk add a little sweetness to the dish and I predict many kids would love it. My toddler surely did!
Carrot casserole usually contains some rice porridge. The porridge is so delicious but quite time consuming to make. If you don’t have porridge rice or don’t have the time to cook the porridge, don’t worry. You can make the carrot and sweet potato casserole also without the rice porridge. I absolutely love rice porridge, it’s another typical Finnish Christmas dish and looks like this. Usually, I prepare a big batch of the porridge, so I can use the leftovers for this vegetable casserole.
I made two batches of the casserole – one with and one without rice porridge. Both turned out delicious.
Another comforting winter dish is our delicious Cabbage, fennel and meat casserole. Have you tried it yet?
- 5 dl / 2 cups rice porridge (optional)
- 1 kg / 35 oz carrots
- ½ kg / 18 oz sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2,5 dl / 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs or panko flour
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- Prepare the rice porridge according to the package. You can use porridge or risotto rice and cook it in milk.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Chop carrots and sweet potato and cook for about 10-15 minutes until vegetables are soft. Pour out the water and mash vegetables using a hand blender or a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl, mix together mashed vegetables, rice porridge, two eggs and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs or panko flour and add the butter on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour.
Hope you enjoy the carrot and sweet potato casserole with coconut milk!