Asparagus quiche it is, because we love to cook with seasonal ingredients. A while ago, we shared a round up for 21 delicious asparagus recipes. Asparagus season is so short, we really have to enjoy it and cook with this beautiful veggie as long as we can. Therefore, here is one more asparagus recipe for you. This asparagus quiche is also perfect for a May Day brunch. It contains delicious flavours like lemon, thyme and Parmesan.
If you have been following our blog, you may have noticed that we cook a lot of vegetarian dishes. We do also eat fish, chicken and some red meat, but veggies are the foundation of any healthy diet. That’s why we want to teach our kids to enjoy vegetables. Vegetarian food doesn’t have to be boring at all and it surely can be full of flavour and packed with protein.
If you live in Finland, there is an interesting food festival taking place in Helsinki in May. It’s called Koe Kasvis (20.5.) and it’s all about vegetarian food. You can win tickets to the festival on our Instagram account, participate here!
- For the dough:
- 100 g / 3.5 oz butter (room temperature)
- 3 dl / 1,25 cups flour (I used half rye half spelt flour)
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- For the filling:
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl / 0,8 cups cooking cream
- 4 tbsp Ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 100 g / 3.5 oz Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Start by making the dough. Knead butter, flour and creme fraiche together with your hands until a dough forms. Form a ball out of the dough, cover it with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. You can alternatively also use store bought dough pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius/ 400 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Peel the asparagus.
- In a bowl mix all filling ingredients together: egg, cooking cream, Ricotta, lemon juice, creme fraiche, thyme and 2 tbsp of the grated Parmesan. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Take the dough from the fridge and place in a lightly buttered pie tin and using your hands press it evenly on the bottom and sides. Make a few holes with a fork. Bake just the pie crust in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the pie crust out of the oven and spread the filling evenly on top.
- Layer the asparagus on the filling and sprinkle the remaining grated Parmesan on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Hope you enjoy the asparagus quiche!